Thursday, August 03, 2006

Book Review: GOD IS MY SUCCESS by Larry Julian

On Tue night, Uncle K and Aunty SH visited. Uncle K shared from a book which he later left with me - GOD is My Success by Larry Julian (author of GOD is My CEO).

One of the chapters is on Overcoming Financial Slavery, a subject hubby and I are struggling with everyday.
How much $ is enough?
What if we run out of $ before he finds a stable source of income in Melb? What if we can't get any loan from any lending institution by the time we are asked to settle the balance of the College Square property?
What if....? All tough questions with no "safety net" answers. It's enough to give one sleepless nights.

The author makes it clear what financial slavery is. It has nothing to do with the accumulation of money or the lack of money. Rather, it's the result of our MOTIVE. Do we truly believe that everything we receive is a gift from GOD? Do we truly believe that He will provide for our every need (in our case, that would be housing, a car, good healthcare, a job for hubby, support from our new community, a healthy and normal baby, a safe pregnancy and delivery)?

Even as I wrote some of those items down, I realized something. God did not promise to grant us all of our hearts' desires (although He certainly can if He wishes), but to meet our needs. What are my needs?

Do I need a nice home in a nice neighbourhood with good schooling options for Beth, or would any roof over our heads do?
Do I need a 1.8 l-and-above branded car, or would any car that fits our budget do?
Does hubby need to remain in the IT industry (where he is already starting to chafe) so that he can provide for the family, or will any decent job that brings in enough to pay the monthly household expenses do?
Will I love my baby as much even if he is born handicapped? (This one is easily answered. With Beth, we can committed to God that should she turn out to be a special needs child, we would love and accept her all the same because she is God's gift to us. That was why we were at peace with the decision to skip the prenatal test to determine if she was likely to have Down's Syndrome. This time around, we did the test because we wanted to be informed in advance and mentally prepared for the possibility of a DS baby, but before that, we again made the same commitment to God to keep the baby even if. The test turned out negative.)

The author goes on: When we accept God's promises, we are free to live without having to pursue or worry about money. We still face daily business and financial obligations, but we aren't alone. God is with us, and He blesses us with the gifts we need to succeed.

He goes on to give examples.
Financial freedom means...
Living a rich and full life in peace, love and joy without wondering how the next bill will be paid.
I'm free to choose my career, determine the right balance between work and family, and enjoy a lifestyle within my financial means.
I can choose to do the right thing regardless of the potential financial consequences of losing money or even getting fired. (!!)

Financial freedom allows me to pursue my calling without worrying about failure. (You mean I can go ahead and write full-time without worrying if I'll get published or paid for my efforts? And take up a course in career counselling without worrying if I can make a living from it? Wow.)

Financial freedom means...
I can be content where I am without striving for something more.
Thankfully accepting that my future business ventures may be a complete bust or the wildest success (!!).
I understand my role in partnership with God: I'm to be a good steward of the gifts given to me. FF makes me fiscally responsible and allows me to make wise financial decisions in alignment with God's will.

Here's where I encounter my biggest stumbling block. I know I've been anything but fiscally responsible. I am a spender, not a saver. When I do save, I don't keep up for long; it's too tempting to use the savings on something tangible (a holiday, shopping money, a new household appliance that will surely depreciate or be underused). As an investor, I am ruled by emotion (fear and greed) rather than intelligence. As a purchaser of life insurance products, I allow my decision to be based on what my financial planner recommends rather than doing the math based on my family's needs and my projected budget. I don't know that I've ever made a wise financial decision in my life. Even the latest venture - the purchase of a unit in College Square - which at that time seemed like a great idea to generate passive income for our future, was entered into without prayer, without consulting with experts, without studying the fine print and asking questions.

The author acknowledges the practical hurdles. There is the noble pursuit of God's call, he writes, and there is the practicality of the need for money in day-to-day living. How will I know I'm following God and not my selfish desires? How do I balance my financial obligations at work with my passion and calling? How do I balance my commitment at work with my time at home with my family? How much money is enough?

His answer:
It comes down to arriving at a place where you know with confidence that your motives are in alignment with God's will.

His recommendation:
Adopt the Surrender Posture and the Take-Charge Posture in our partnership with God.

1) Surrender to Him what we cannot control. Acknowledge that all good gifts come from Him. As long as we rationalize our need to be in control, money will always be our master. (And Jesus has already said we cannot serve both God and Mammon.)

You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.' But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth. (Deut 8:17-18)

2) Use our gifts wisely for a greater purpose and not just for our gain. What am I doing with my time, talent and resources? Can God trust me with the little or much that He has given me?

Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. (Matt 25:23)

Prayer
Dear Lord, I repent my lack of good stewardship over the resources you have given me over the years. I acknowledge that I have been mentally and financially lazy and have not equipped myself with the knowledge and wisdom needed to make sound financial decisions.
I ask that you will help me acknowledge anew that all good gifts come from you, and that you are my Provider, who is able to meet all my needs.
Help me accept that I may not always get what I want, but what I do receive will be exactly what I need.
Free me from the fear of tomorrow, the anxiety of not having enough money, the need for a safety net "just in case".
Help me remember that nothing is too hard for you, that you are able to do more than I could ever ask or imagine.
Help me seek first your kingdom and your righteousness, not my own desires and dreams, and to rest in the knowledge that "all these things" (food, clothing, shelter, a job, a way out of the College Square problem) will be added unto me.
Amen.

No comments: