Monday, August 28, 2006

Am I Life Coach Material?

I've been researching the distance learning courses available for counselling, psychology, and coaching - all areas I find immensely attractive because they are in line with my personal mission: to be equipped to make a difference in people's lives.

I am particularly keen in exploring coaching (life and career) as a profession because of its emphasis on the present and future as opposed to counselling, which works to fix problems caused by past emotional baggage.

I can see myself helping my clients attain clarity about their life purposes, adapt to life cycle changes and make important career decisions. These are areas readily relevant in my own life and about which I have strong convictions and the most interest. My personal experiences, especially the mistakes I've made and the lessons I've learnt, can be a springboard for discussion and sharing.

Courses I'm researching

Diploma in Professional Counselling, Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors
Career Development Professional Certificate, Worklife College of Worklife Practitioners
Certificate IV in Life Coaching, Life Coaching Institute
Certified Professional Coach, International Coach Academy
Certified Christian Life Coach, Professional Christian Coaching & Counselling Academy

What I'm sensing is that I am called not just to be a life coach but to share the truth of God through the coaching process. This means a secular approach just won't do, even if my client base may initially be smaller or my practice less lucrative. There has to be a common understanding and foundation established right from the start, one that is based on biblical principles. Without this understanding and foundation, I would not be able to practise to the fullest extent of my calling, and my clients would not be able to benefit from hearing truths that they need to hear.

Will continue to seek His will and guidance in this area. It is no small thing to have the power to influence other people's lives.

No comments: