Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What To Love About Money

Some believers may wonder why I'm so fascinated by the subject of Money. They may even feel that I'm being carnal or unspiritual since the Bible clearly warns against serving God and Mammon, and says that the love of money is the root of all evil (1 Tim 6:10).

The truth is, the M word makes me uncomfortable.
I want more, but feel guilty even thinking about it.
As a child, the subject was never discussed at the dinner table, nor later when I was growing up.
The prevailing wisdom was that if you studied hard, got a good job (preferably as a doctor or lawyer) and were a good saver, you would always have money.
No one in the family had money struggles, not even Mum who was a single parent.
There weren't any entrepreneurs either, and I was never particularly curious how people made money buying and selling goods and services.
It never occurred to me that there were ways to make money other than getting a job.

Now that I'm a parent and a freelancer with uncertain income, the M word has suddenly assumed a new urgency in my life.
How do I make more than I need so that I can live comfortably without worrying about monthly expenses, depleting my savings or having to depend on others?

That question has taken me on a learning curve of trying to understand multiple streams of income, changing trends in the workplace, Internet marketing, affiliate programs, working for others vs working for self, retiring early and rich, the power of MLMs - and on and on.

But I digress.

The purpose of this post is really to share an article I read on Os Hillman's website. You can read the full article here.

For those who prefer quick bites, here's the 10-Point Summary:
  • Money is morally neutral. It is a tool given by God, to be used but not glorified, appreciated but not elevated.
  • Definition of Money: the right to the goods and services of others.
  • Why Money should be appreciated. "Every coffee bean, every garment, every dollar put into an offering bucket represents the combined labor of a hundred servants. It represents the forgone desires of some precious soul who could have done something else with his or her time and labor. As Christians we must see money for what it represents – an unbroken chain of love, leading back to the Father." (Wow.)
  • Wealth vs Riches. Riches = an abundance of money and possessions. Wealth = the ability to create riches by controlling the means of production. Wealth is others-oriented. Wealth gives us the ability to provide for others without depleting our resources. Wealth gives us the ability to create a spiritual oasis. (I like the idea of being able to provide for others without worrying about depleting my resources.)
  • Wealth is a blessing from God. We should stop thinking that wealth = carnality.
  • All wealth comes from creating VALUE. In creating value, we have the opportunity to be like God, who is always creating for others. In return, we earn the right to receive value from others. A business is nothing more than an organization that creates value. We can create value by enhancing our skills, being creative, or by simply serving. (Makes sense to me. So what needs can I identify and fulfill today?)
  • Break the poverty spirit. How? By working. Stop trying to get something for nothing. Stop trying to get rich quick. Instead, create value for others. (The writer suggests that MLMs and network marketing are get-rich-quick schemes. How true is this?)
  • 2 views of Money: the Consumer and the Producer. The Producer asks: How can I serve? The Consumer asks: What's in it for me?
  • Entrepreneurial spirit vs Exploitational spirit. The most successful entrepreneurs are not the most greedy but those who are passionate about finding - and solving - the greatest needs.
  • Biblical view of work. Work was given by God as man's primary activity on earth. Work transforms us and helps us create value for others. Too many are preoccupied about retiring early and never having to work again. Why would you want to do that?
Prayer

Dear Lord,

Teach me a right perspective of Money so that I will not be a financial slave - either discontented and craving for more, or tempted to take shortcuts because my family's needs are not being met. Help me rejoice in all circumstances and trust that you are my Jehovah Jireh, the God who provides.

Amen.


No comments: