Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Decent Conversation Goes Awry

Had a civil conversation with Mum this morning when she called to say she wouldn't be joining us for dinner. She has physio till 430 pm and isn't comfortable driving at night.

We talked (rather, she talked - I listened) about all the reasons I shouldn't go to Melb now: the baby's safety, my safety, anecdotes of people who spent years abroad and have now decided that S'pore is still home sweet home after all, finances...

It all seemed to be going rather well, and I remember wondering why we couldn't have such decent, unemotional conversations more often? Then Mum ended with:
"Anyway, I can't stop you going lah. I know even if you stay in S'pore you won't look after me....Take care hah?" [End of Call]

I spent a few seconds stewing over that emotionally charged allegation, and decided to let it pass. It's really too much to deal with right now.

Back to errands: today's about calling quotations for shipping Scottie (one pet exporter is charging us almost $1,900, and that's just for the export!) and doing an inventory of the items we want to ship, serial numbers and all (for electrical/electronic items). Quite backbreaking. Hope I don't do myself or bb any harm.

Received 2 emails from kind Uncle K. One was to his finance broker (mortgage broker?) requesting her help (on our behalf) to get a valuation done on the College Square unit and to handle our loan application (our agent PRD is taking eons, tho they promised to expedite). The other was to suggest another meeting with us, this time including Aunty KS and Uncle TG. More distressingly, he says that after a discussion with the others, he feels we need to reconsider our decision to move as we may be introducing too many changes in our lives at the same time.

Sinking feeling....

Went on Google immediately to see what experts and mums-in-similar-straits have to say. Unearthed 2 tremendously reassuring articles: RELOCATING DURING PREGNANCY by Holly Fawcett and FLYING THE PREGNANT SKIES by Mary Dixon Lebeau.

I think what might really make us reconsider would be if Dr Kek says ABSOLUTELY NOT. (When we first mooted the idea to her during the first trimester, she said there was no reason why we couldn't go.) Am not due to see her till 17 Aug. Perhaps I should call and see if she can fit me in earlier on an urgent basis.

I think I'll scream if we don't go. I've already worked myself up into the appropriate frame of mind and gotten halfway there with the planning, and now one of our staunchest supporters says think again.

The crux of the matter is - What does God think?

Back on our knees....

No comments: