Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The One-A-Day Technique

I am really excited about an idea that hit me on the head yesterday. It was one of those blinding moments of clarity when you wonder, "Why didn't I think of this before?" I call it the One-A-Day technique, and it's my way of cutting through the thousands of to-do's that blindside me from my goals everyday.

A little bit of background first.

I am notoriously obsessive-compulsive/perfectionist, get endlessly absorbed and sidetracked by trivia, and would probably be diagnosed as having ADHD/ADD today. I love starting things but have trouble finishing them, and am continually walking back and forth in that no man's land between Vision and Implementation.

Yesterday, I was (again) in despair over the number of things undone/to be done, when I had my moment of clarity.

What if, WHAT IF, instead of trying to do everything everyday, I dedicated ONE day of the week to a specific theme and did things centred around that theme? Wouldn't that be more productive, more interesting, and a more organized way to live?

So for instance, Mondays could be for my organics business. Every Monday, I could have a list of action items to move me forward in my business. Call a prospect. Check the business website for updates. Join a live conference call. Listen to a recorded training call. Do a business review.

Tuesdays could be my Internet Marketing day. That's the day I could catch up on my ezine/newsletter subscriptions, do some homework on the SBI Action Guide, listen to a training call or audio CD, apply the techniques I learn.

Wednesdays could be my Coaching day, the day I work at building my coaching practice, study training options, investigate the coaching resources on the Web, write a personal development article.

And so on.

Once I got down to listing all the action items under each theme, it was easy to see how I could do one or two things each day that would help me move a bit nearer my final destination, and Developing A Passive Income or Becoming A Certified Career Coach no longer seems like a dream that's light years away.

Try it yourself and see!

Serena Tan is a self-directed, wellbeing-loving info junkie and personal development addict who regards herself as one giant Work-In-Progress. Her biggest challenge is learning how to live deliberately and joyfully in the Present.

No comments: