Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Next Phase: Becoming A Piano Teacher

Years ago, I remember asking my best friend to connect me with her friend who was a piano teacher.

We exchanged emails but I never got round to taking action on my then vague desire to teach piano.

I felt that my Dip. in Piano Performance just wouldn't hack it if I had to submit myself to a rigorous Yamaha audition, so why bother?

When Beth got to the age of being able to sit through a Kindermusik class, I thought: maybe I could teach kiddies music?

Again, I failed to take action.

Today, I'm glad to say I've just taught my 2nd lesson to an adult learner, and it's been all good.

I reckon I'm learning as much as she is.

It's not easy finding the right words to say and I'm having to be really careful so that I am generous with praise and encouragement, and that I gently correct without being critical or judgmental.

Having been raised in a high-control, perfectionistic environment, I have to consciously censor those thoughts and remarks that would otherwise slip out.

It helps that Beth has her Yamaha Junior Music Course in the morning, and that I get to sit with her through the class and absorb some of the positive vibes from her very enthusiastic teacher and classmates. The class gives me a high and I carry some of that zeal and joy with me into my teaching in the afternoon, so it's worked out really well.

I'm so thankful that after years of dithering and non-action, I've finally found my way into teaching piano.

I plan to get better and better in my teaching and my playing so that I grow alongside my student.

No comments: