Friday, December 23, 2005

Is Working From Home For Me?

I have a nagging suspicion that working from home requires a great deal more self-discipline than I possess right now.

Besides getting sidetracked by all the interesting fluff on the Net, my other big challenge is focussing on the important people in my life, such as my daughter.

Despite starting out with good intentions of devoting evenings exclusively to being with her, I am finding her a distraction and disruption when I need to send out an email or do some work that involves being online.

This evening was a perfect example of a perfect disaster.

3-year-olds are notoriously demanding, and my little girl is no different. While I was engrossed in crafting my most inspired invitation letter ever, she insisted on sitting on my lap (thus blocking my view of the monitor) and repeatedly asking for her milk.

"Wait till I finish this email," said I.

"No...I want it NOW!"

That was the exact same moment the computer chose to crash... just before I pressed "Send"!

I was so furious at the loss of my hard work that I took out my anger on her, treating her rather roughly, which caused the poor girl to burst into tears. That led to my spouse accusing me of putting work before my little girl. My own feelings of remorse coupled with his rebuke were altogether too much to bear. Still sulking, I brought her downstairs to make her her favourite nightcap.

She was asleep in minutes after finishing the bottle, and I was again able to get back to work. I should have just put her to bed and then got on with my work.

On reflection, I realize I've lost something invaluable and immeasurable and which can never be regained (save with a good deal of hard work): the goodwill of a little girl, thanks to my selfishness and lack of self-control.

I'm ashamed to confess that this is not the first time. If I'm to maintain a close bond with my little girl, I will have to exert greater control over my time and emotions, and learn to welcome her into my world, rather than seeing her desire to be with me as an intrusion.

And you know what's worse?

This would never have happened if I weren't working from home.

So is being a WAHM for me?
Or am I better off demarcating work and home clearly, like I used to as a member of the corporate world?
I wish I knew.

No comments: