Tuesday, December 06, 2005

From Employee to Business Owner

On 2 Dec 2005, I completed my comfort-zone leap: I became a business owner!

Registering the business was easy enough. First, I did a couple of pre-registration checks on www.acra.gov.sg, the website of the authority that registers business entities (ACRA), and www.business.gov.sg, the UN 2005 Public Service Award-winning one-stop website for businesses.

I also checked out www.hdb.gov.sg to see how to register my HDB flat as a home office, as I intend to work primarily from home.

When I was satisfied that no other registered entity had a name similar to the one I had in mind, I registered the business using the shopping cart facility in www.business.gov.sg and printed several copies of the Instant Information business profile of my new start-up from the URL sent to me by ACRA. The profile is required for official dealings with other agencies, e.g. to set up a bank account for my business.

The next day, I surfed the Net for domain name registrars for my future corporate website. I chose one off the first page of searches from Google: Melbourne IT (www.melbourneit.com.au). A couple of clicks and US$70 later, I am the proud owner of the yet-to-be-built www.beyondprint.biz, for the next 2 years. Technology is beautiful!

As I said, setting up is the easy part. The challenge now is to go out and find sustainable business to make my dream of becoming a well-fed writer come true. To that end, I've decided to commit Tue mornings to BNI breakfast meetings and see how things go from there.

Cheers!

No comments: