Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Simple Savings Challenge

Beth and I looked through the Simple Savings website last night.

It was fascinating to watch her scroll through the tip sheets and actually take in the info.

I think I know what I want for my 40th: a subscription to the Vault! It costs $47 and gives you access to ALL the tips suggested by readers over the years.

I'm getting excited thinking of all the $ that I can save if I just start implementing some of the tips. Maybe I won't have to go back to work at all!

I've been resisting buying things that I just happen to see at the supermarket, and to make do with what I have in the freezer/pantry/fridge. Yesterday, I spent just $28 on meat and nuts at Tasman Meats, our supply for the week. Hubby loves the cashew nuts, yay. For dinner last night I made chicken soup using one of the chicken carcasses (3 for $1), plus carrots, potatoes, garlic and a tin of organic cannelloni beans.

Unfortunately, hubby has not caught on. He still buys potato chips and cookies and Dip-Its just because he happens to be near ALDI when Beth goes to jujitsu on Mondays. Oh well, better one of us spending than two!

For afternoon tea, I made a batch of banana-blueberry muffins from the overripe bananas in the fruit bowl, and added ALDI blueberries. They tasted good, although Beth wanted to know why the muffins were all sunken in the middle!

Today I made scrolls using frozen puff pastry, tinned fruit, almond meal and crushed peanuts. All from stuff I already had in the pantry and freezer. Note to self: make sure fruit is completely drained so it won't make scrolls all soggy!

Earlier in the month we trialled Aussie Farmers Direct. Love the convenience and being able to support the farmers, but the prices!!

Am staying away from those money-suckers Safeway and Coles as far as possible, and making ALDI our pitstop of choice. Hubby once found Excel study guides at $2 cheaper than our usual bookstore.

With ALDI you have to be vigilant because the specials change all the time and once they're sold out, you miss out. Anyone who wants to save $ has simply got to make ALDI their first choice for groceries and staples. Every time I leave the checkout and examine my docket I feel SO happy, like I've spent my $ well and lived responsibly. Very important when you're a one-income family with kids!

No comments: