Monday, October 26, 2009

Exploring Career Options

A most unexpected career option has popped up on my radar.

In my subconscious, I almost hoped I wouldn't get through the first stage so I could avoid having to perform at the audition (the final step).

I do so hate the stress of performance anxiety, the pressure of knowing my playing was never the best even when I was taking exams 18 years ago, and the feeling of failure and rejection that haunts me when my fingers stumble.

But the other half of me - my competitive, closet risk-taker half - wants to know if I can go all the way with the recruitment process.

The only way to satisfy this curiosity is to assume the best: imagine success, prepare like I'm going to make it, and just throw in everything I've got.

I knew there was a purpose for my constant fascination with all that visualization and affirmation self-help stuff.

After the initial phone interview, I thought I'd been written off because they were supposed to call me by 16 Oct if I'd made it through to the next stage, and the phone was silent all day.

Then the following Mon, I got a call asking me to please book in for the group interview on 29 Oct.

I was in shock, and I think I didn't sound as enthusiastic as I should have.

I scrambled to reach hubby at his office to discuss options. 29 Oct is a school day and also when J is home with me. I emailed my daughter's music teacher for ideas.

That is, instead of responding consciously, I reacted emotionally.

My sweet hubby offered to take the day off so he could accompany me to the interview location (seeing as I am so navigationally challenged) and entertain J while I go for my first job interview in, what, 8 years?

In the weeks since I first decided to apply for the job, I've shortlisted the pieces for the audition and practised desperately, trying to recapture the level of playing that enabled me to obtain my ATCL.

I tell you, it's hard work.

But it's also exhilarating because with each session, my fingers remember a bit more. It's like driving along a familiar motorway. Sometimes you go into autopilot mode, which is a nice break.

I've no idea how to prepare for the interview.

But I do know one thing: for every door that closes, a window opens.

"All things work together for them that love God, for them that are called according to His purpose."
Romans 8:28

No comments: