Monday, November 02, 2009

A Big Decision To Make

To teach-in-a-classroom-setting or not, that is the question.

I have now cleared the initial phone screen, the group interview and completed the two class observations for littlies and primary-school-aged children.

Now I have to decide if I want to proceed to audition stage.

If I say yes, there is much more than playing a few prepared pieces and singing my way through the 30-minute audition.

If I make it through, I have to sign an agreement, pay a training fee and attend a series of training seminars to get ready for the start of school term in 2010.

It's the seminars that make me think: this is too hard.

They're full-day, take place somewhere far from where I live, and will require efficient organization of after-school care for my kids. The very first seminar coincides with Beth's School Presentation Night and I am most reluctant to do anything that would jeopardize my attendance at this very important school function.

There's also the tricky issue of teaching on weekdays. I'll have to organize for hubby to work from home so he can pick up the girls from school and daycare. And during the three months from April-July, I'll be totally (night)blind after 5 pm and have to rely on someone (hubby, hopefully) to ferry me to and from classes.

A couple more things.

Am I comfortable being teacher/entertainer/role model to a group of kids and managing their parents?

Or would I be better sticking to private tuition?

How will I sustain teaching back-to-back classes when I can't project my voice properly and tend to go hoarse from singing from the throat?

The odds seem pretty daunting.

At the core of it, I have to ask myself whether group teaching is the best way for me to share and impart my love and knowledge of music to young children.

I have till Wed to decide.

No comments: