Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Feel Strong When...

I have been devouring Marcus Buckingham's strengths-based books and raving about them to readers of my careers website.

One of the activities he recommends in Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance is called a Strength Statement Card.

It's a great way to capture, clarify and confirm your strengths.

For instance, one of his strength statements says: "I feel strong when...I present, but only to a large group of people, on a subject I know a lot about, when I'm completely prepared, and when I know my presentation will further a mission."

The statement may mean nothing to anyone who reads it, but it means a lot to the creator, because it tells him exactly what makes him excel at his work.

Just yesterday, I had an extraordinary moment of strength while chatting with a friend's cousin. The cousin is here on holiday from Sg, and I soon discovered we had plenty in common. That made it easy to strike up a conversation.

Legal background.
Gave up full-time work to focus on her child's education and wellbeing.
Accustomed to Sg lifestyle of ready support from extended family and domestic help.
Struggling with the Big Decision:
Should she or should she not give up her comfortable Sg lifestyle to migrate to Aus?
What if things don't work out?
What if she can't get a job in Aus?

I sensed an immediate connection and a strong sense that she was bursting to tell someone all those things. And I happened to be there at the right place and the right time.

Synchronicity.

We chatted a bit and I shared my two cents' worth. What I particularly remember is a moment when I said (and I don't even know why I said it, and it certainly wasn't a sentiment I had ever expressed before) - "Singaporeans will thrive anywhere in the world. We've got a lot of positive traits and a good work ethic" etc etc.

My conversation partner said she was glad to hear me say all that.

Today, I heard from my friend that after talking to me, her cousin (who has held Aus PR for the past 15 years but has continually put off uprooting) is now a little more receptive to the idea of migrating to Aus.

How does that make me feel?

I guess you could say it makes me smile. :-)

Not because the outcome of her cousin's decision making makes a difference to me. It is after all a huge decision that she must arrive at and persuade herself of when she has made it. But simply because it confirmed what I'd already sensed while talking with her: there is a power that shines forth when I speak my truth from my heart.

So if I can distill down that act and the feeling into a strength statement, it would look like this (in very rough form):

I feel strong when...
I talk with someone who is contemplating or seeking change in her way of living, and I offer a thought, a personal truth or my perspective in a way that powerfully moves her to make a decision and to move forward and begin to live according to her new choices.

No comments: