Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Putting Natural Selling Principles To Work

I have been listening to Michael Oliver's audio book How To Sell Network Marketing Without Fear, Anxiety Or Losing Your Friends! in the car for the past 3 months.

I love how he teaches people in the network marketing business to listen, ask the right questions, and act from a desire to help. His approach works in any situation where you are having a conversation with someone; you don't have to be in a sales job to benefit from his excellent book.

Just this morning, I put myself out there (me, the confirmed introvert!) and invited 3 friends to a Learning Ladder home party.

Now, even though I have a network marketing business myself, I have been holding back on marketing it just because I am sales-shy and can't bring myself to talk to anyone about what I do. I just fear rejection so much and take it really hard when someone says no.

Michael Oliver says we should approach NM with the idea of helping others solve their problem. First, find out if there is a problem. If there isn't, there's nothing for me to do. Second, find out how much pain/discomfort the other person is because of the problem. If it's not bothering them enough that they are open to changing their situation, there's nothing for me to do.

Only when there is a problem and the other person is willing to take action can we look at how my solution might help.

Again, there is no guarantee. My solution might not be right for them, in which case there is nothing for me to do, and I move on.

When you look at NM like this, it really makes it more doable and less of a personal rejection risk.

My own encounter with Natural Selling began yesterday when I sounded out one of the ladies, whose son is Beth's classmate, and she said she was interested in coming along for the party. I showed her the catalogue and explained how Beth loved so many of the books and games and possibly the kids in the class would like them too. I also talked about how the quality of the products was so much better and the variety wider than what could be found in the shops.

This morning, I mentioned the home party to my reading partner. She said it sounded like a really good idea and could she bring along some nibbles so I didn't have to provide everything as I was already opening up my house!

As we were walking to the admin office, we met the other 2 ladies, one of whom is the friend I spoke with yesterday.

So there were 4 of us chatting in the playground. When the right moment came, I brought up the home party. Now 2 of them knew about it and the third was hearing it for the first time.

And they all said YES.

It was the easiest "pitch" I'd ever made, which almost makes me wish I were the LL presenter instead of just the hostess! :-)

Now to get to work on my organics biz...

No comments: