Monday, December 31, 2007

To Work Or Not To Work

That is the question.

Here we are again at the age-old dilemma:

Should I go back to f/t work or continue to stay home with the kids?
Is this the right time?
Is there such a thing as the right time?
Can I do both rather than either/or?
Is it selfish to want to be the best I can be, to want more than what being a SAHM can offer?
Will my kids' development and wellbeing suffer if I return to work f/t?

I am learning to think with an Abundance mentality, one that allows for the possibility of "plus" rather than "either/or", which can really limit your choices.

I find that my energies will always travel in the direction of those things I most love doing, and that financial recompense is not always the top criterion in determining how happy and fulfilled I will be.

As Stephen Covey says in The 8th Habit, where Passion, Vision, Need and Talent intersect, there will I find my Voice.

So if Internet marketing promises squillions in residual income but it doesn't give me the one-on-one human interaction I enjoy, it won't work for me. I may start with a bang but give up after a few months.

And if being a Legal Info Officer with VIC Legal Aid offers a salary that's middling but lets me feel like I'm able to help a section of the community that's disadvantaged, and also allows me to use my legal skills indirectly, then that might work out better for me.

No comments: