Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What The Mind Can Believe, It Can Achieve

Is it possible to become successful just by thinking about it?
Research has proven that the mind cannot tell the difference between a real occurrence and one that has been well-imagined. The moment you experience an event vividly in your imagination it is recorded as experience.

Mental Rehearsal
Picture this... Liu Chi Kung, a world-class pianist in the late 1950's, was imprisoned during the Cultural Revolution in China . After seven years without a piano he immediately resumed his concert tour. His fans said he played better than ever and wondered how this was possible. Kung said, 'I rehearsed every piece I had ever played, note by note, in my mind.'

Mental rehearsal, or the process of visualization, can give you a competitive edge. Olympic athletes have used it in training for years and it works not only in sports but for every goal you set.

Picture This
The next time you make a presentation, book an important appointment, or attempt a challenge outside your comfort zone, gain the edge. Practice mental rehearsal beforehand. You can think your way to success. You don't need any special tools, it doesn't cost anything, and you can begin right now.

Picture that!

From Coaching Compass, newsletter of CoachTrainingAlliance

Reflection:

I've been thinking long and hard about this one.
On an intellectual level, I 'know' that positive thinking brings positive results, that As A Man Thinketh, So Is He, The Law of Attraction etc etc.
But I've rarely endeavoured to put this principle in practice.

What I've continually struggled with is this: is there a moral or spiritual element to engaging in such a process?
Should there be a good cause, a noble purpose, before I apply positive thinking to something?
Do I even need to go there?

The more I think about it, the stronger a particular thought has presented itself to me: the principle itself, that Positive Thinking Brings Positive Results, is a universal law.
It applies to all things, all situations and all people.
Because it is a universal law, it will always work if applied correctly.
Because it is a universal law, my feelings about it are irrelevant.
Because it is a universal law, it is available and accessible to all.

The only thing that is holding me back from experiencing possible positive outcomes - is me.

History, anecdotal evidence and my own experience illustrate the dramatic outcomes or missed opportunities that result from exercise of the principle.
Think you can - and events, people and resources will come together to make it happen.
Think you can't - and you subconsciously push the positive outcome away.

On its own, the principle is morally and spiritually neutral.
But I can make it moral and spiritual by choosing to exercise it for a good cause or a noble purpose.
So because this principle is neutral and can be used for good or bad, I have a moral responsibility as a thinking, spiritually conscious person and a practising Christian, to apply the principle responsibly.

But the fundamental principle remains unchanged: ask, and you shall receive.

No comments: