Friday, April 22, 2011

The Reason We Rejoice

Today was a very significant day for the Tan household.

It was our first Good Friday service at SDA, our congregation's spiritual home for the next 52 weeks, and also our first Combined Good Friday Service at Wyndham Leisure and Events Centre.

Being in a tiny room with just one guitarist, one drummer and a keyboardist (me) and rows of chairs - no pews - reminded me of my MYF and VCF days. Really, what more do we need to worship God meaningfully?

At the combined service, I was overwhelmed by the number of people present. All these my brothers and sisters from churches all over Wyndham. People I might have met in the Plaza or at school or on the street but never knew were fellow believers.

I loved the seamlessness of the musos (the mark of true professionals) and the way each pastor spoke masterfully during his allotted time, then made way for the next person.

Each led in his own special way, and each exhibited the sincerity, conviction and authenticity that to me is evidence of God's grace at work in his life.

I was particularly bowled over by the pastor who reminded us that in Australia, there are only two days in the year when Coles, Woolworths and Bunnings are closed: the day Jesus died, and the day He rose again.

Amen to that eternal and unchanging truth!

May all who have yet to say yes have that opportunity to do so before Jesus returns.

No comments: