Friday, June 27, 2008

Busting 2 Barriers In A Day

Have you ever felt afraid to try something new and just kept finding excellent excuses to put it off?

Two of my biggest challenges as a fairly new P-plater are: one, driving on the freeway by myself; two, tanking up at the petrol station by myself.

This past Monday, I accomplished both.

My friend Annie likes to remind me that I need to be pushed into a corner before I'll respond positively to a new challenge.

She's right.

The only reason I busted out of my two Fear Zones was because of a serendipitous conversation.

Chatting with a fellow mum at school, I casually said perhaps we could arrange a play date over the coming hols.

She said sure, why not, and then remembered that she was hosting a tea party for another little girl who is her daughter's best friend and also a classmate of Beth.

She said would Beth like to come to the tea party? It would be after school on Monday.

I thought, why not, and said "Sure!".

Then I found out this lady lives in Point Cook, 10 km and several suburbs away.

I've never driven out of the Werribee/Hoppers area on my own, and I tell you I was terrified.

Not only that, it being Monday (day before fill-up-the-petrol-tank-cheaply day), the needle on our fuel tank was running dangerously close to 'E'...

That meant I'd have to take the car to the petrol station by myself.

I seriously contemplated backing out of the party, but then thought, that would make me such a loser. I mean, who pulls out of a party just because they don't know how to fill up the car?

So I summoned up my courage and drove to the Safeway petrol station after playgroup and queued up behind another car.

I tried to recall all the steps CA normally takes (which just float over me when I'm the passenger) and - surprise! - no one stared or honked or did anything to make me feel conspicuous. I managed to put in $20 worth of petrol, which CA assured me was plenty for the journey to Point Cook.

At school, I bumped into the mum of the little girl who was to be the main star of the tea party. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I confessed that I wasn't sure I could find my way to Point Cook on my own, or find my way back if the party ended late (cos I have poor night vision).

She kindly offered to direct the way by driving ahead of me slowly.

Which she did, so getting to Point Cook was a breeze.

We all had a lovely time at the party.

There were pink helium balloons, pink Cinderella plates and napkins, and HEAPS of food.

I later found out it was a surprise birthday tea party for Maddison, whose birthday was two days after!

Anywayz, as the evening got on and it started getting dark, hubby called and asked, "Where are you?"

He knew I was going to be in Point Cook and was worried I wouldn't be able to see my way home in time. (It's winter so it gets dark around 5 pm.)

I promised to go home right away, and hung up.

Maddie's mum noticed my increasing anxiety, and suggested kindly that perhaps we should get going.

How grateful I felt!

Driving home was again as easy as keeping an eye on the car in front, because again Maddie's mum was there to lead the way.

I was so pleased to find myself in familiar territory sooner than I expected.

Now I know Point Cook is really only just beyond the Old Geelong Rd/C701, which makes it fairly straightforward getting from here to there.

The next time I have to drive into Point Cook, I won't be as nervous.

Thanks Margaret!! You're an angel!

And thank you Lord, for once again stretching me and making me grow.

No comments: