Tuesday, August 14, 2007

How To Make Decisions Quickly and Easily

I get stressed every time I have to make a decision.

It doesn't matter how mundane or major the decision is. As long as I have to choose, as long as saying yes to A means saying no to B, I'm in trouble.

What should J wear to church today?
What's for dinner?
Should I send Beth to an expensive Christian school or the nearest state school?
Should we live in Suburb A or Suburb B?
Should we buy House A, B or C?

I almost wish I could outsource the whole decision making process. (But then, where would be the fun?)

So I'm pleased someone's designed a decision making tool for indecisive folks like me.

This tool - software actually - lets you do all these things:

1. Ask the right question (very important!)
2. List the possible answers
3. List up to 10 relevant factors that need to be considered
4. Attach a weight to each factor

Result: A bar graph that shows you exactly which answer "won".

You have complete control of the process and can go back and change the input any time until you're 100% satisfied.

I love how simple and effective it is. I love how it "forces" me to decide, just by the exercise of assigning a weight to a factor. I've used it on choice of suburb and choice of house so far.

You can try it out yourself here.

No comments: