Monday, March 12, 2007

Lenten Reflections

From the HXUCA bulletin

A LENTEN PRAYER
I thank you God for the sacrifices made on my behalf by Jesus Christ.
Help me during this time of Lent to be deliberate in spending time in your presence so that I may come to a point of more fully appreciating your sacrifice for the world.
Give me the strength to give something up - a habit, an excess, something that you have been reminding me of.
Amen.

Reflections
I have to be deliberate, determined, and disciplined in spending time with God. This means effort and persistence, not just wanting and wishing.
It means engaging in the daily self-talk that acknowledges my weaknesses (wanting to sleep just a few minutes more, thinking "Maybe I'll do this tomorrow") and chooses what's right over what's comfortable.
It's allowing the head to rule the heart, or the body for that matter.
It's putting my personal comfort and love of ease on the scales against the enormous sacrifice God made by sending Jesus to the cross for me - why me? - weak, unholy, inconsiderate, self-absorbed, cowardly, lazy, timid, conflicted me.
What have I done to deserve this sacrifice?
And what have I done in response to this sacrifice?
May I be awed and humbled by the meaning of Good Friday and Easter Sunday a little more each year.

No comments: