Saturday, December 09, 2006

Don't Miss This Blog! StevePavlina

I am a devoted fan of Steve Pavlina's Personal Development for Smart People website and blog. He writes long, balanced, well thought through posts on diverse subjects like motivation, polyphasic sleep, how to find your life purpose in 20 minutes, the Law of Attraction (which I see popping up on all the success gurus' websites), and 10 Reasons You Should Never Get A Job.

If you've been following this blog, you will know that the topic of money sits heavily on my mind. And just yesterday, after a week of internal conversations on The Purpose Driven Life vs The Abundant Mentality, I remembered Steve and checked out his blog. Call it synchronicity or a coincidence, but I believe that when you are seeking answers sincerely, they will all come at you in a rush. Steve's latest post just affirms this theory.

Just look at how he starts off. Everything that's been on my mind is right here.

How important is money? How much is enough? Is money a distraction from one’s spiritual path? Is it a necessary evil? Is it unfair that some people have more money than others? Is poverty more noble than wealth? Is it possible to become an enlightened millionaire?

And then see how he goes on to address the following issues:


  • Is money a positive resource or a consciousness-lowering distraction?
  • Conflicting beliefs about money
  • What is money?
  • How to earn money
  • The moocher mindset
  • The contributor mindset
  • Pro bono contribution
  • Making money consciously
  • Congruent contribution

My Major Takeaways

I choose to earn money by being a contributor. This means adding value, meeting needs, solving problems.

My income depends on its social value (how society perceives and weighs its value), not personal value (what I think is valuable).

To be fully motivated, I have to attain congruence. To find congruence, I must live in alignment with my personal values and find a way to contribute social value.

Once I've learned to internalize these 2 mindsets, I will be able to earn more while serving the greater good.

Finally, the mother of all quotable quotes. It's so good I had to reprint it word for word for you.

If you want to generate income without lowering your consciousness, you have to get your limiting beliefs out of your way. Holding yourself back from earning more money doesn’t serve anyone. Limiting your income only limits your contribution. The conscious reason to earn more money is that you can put those social credits to good use. Use them to expand your service to others. If you’re living an honorable life, then it’s a good thing for you to receive more money. You’ll be a good custodian for it. The more money that flows through your life, the more resources you can invest into your life purpose.

No comments: