Saturday, November 18, 2006

Week 34: Update on Bub

Saw Dr Calandra 2 nights ago for my fortnightly checkup. He analyzed the results of my 2-weeks-ago blood test (my 2nd prescribed by him) and said I (still) have low haemoglobin (97), and in addition I've low B12 (what's that?) and high folate.

Recommendation:
Go easy on the folic acid.
Buy B12 shots from the pharmacy so he can inject me and boost my B12 levels quickly.
Start taking a B complex supplement.

Told Dr C I've switched to a liquid herbal iron extract in hopes that it'll be better absorbed. Didn't get to tell him the brand (Floradix) as he didn't seem terribly interested.

When I mentioned the unbearable belly itch that can't be cured by Dermaveen or Medihoney, he didn't even ask to see it. He started scribbling on his notepad and scratched out a prescription for yet another blood test, this time for Liver Function Disease. Read on www.babycenter.com that this is called PUPPP (pruritic uticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy) which is harmless, but you need to let your doc know just in case it signals a liver problem, so he's done the right thing.

Strangely, he sounded like he'd never heard of Medihoney, which is one of those products that gets written up a lot in health mags. Worse, when I told him it's supposed to be "natural" as in made from honey and steroid-free, he snorted and said nothing's natural; everything's a drug. Instead, he prescribed calamine lotion, to which hubby and I (later) responded with a "Whaaat? So basic?" My O&G in Sg had prescribed a mild steroid gel, Egocort, which I use sparingly (when I absolutely can't take the itch anymore) just in case there are side effects. You never know with steroids.

From 36 weeks on, we'll be seeing Dr C once a week. Hopefully, I'll be able to take better control of the proceedings from now on instead of just feeling annoyed after every session because I expect more sympathy and support from my O&G.

No comments: