Thursday, November 30, 2006

Is Contentment Possible?

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Phil. 4:11-13

This was today's reading, and you know what? I'm so excited as I read it, because I can affirm its truth in my life. Starting over in a new country has given me the grace of learning what Paul learnt - the meaning of contentment, the humbling, crushing vulnerability of being in need, the joy of abundance, and the ultimate breathtaking revelation: that I can do EVERYTHING (live more fully, learn more, do more, earn more, relate better, love unconditionally, set goals and reach them) through HIM (not me, thank God).