Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Discipline of Trying Something New

As I was walking outside International Plaza yesterday, I made up my mind to do something different: I would accept every flyer thrust at me by the infamous flyer promoters (who all seem to know each other), and see if there were any business opportunities in any of them.

My reasons?

  • To explore a new way of finding referrals for my business associates before the next networking session.
  • To give the companies behind the flyers a chance instead of just dismissing them (as everyone else does).

I called the number on one, a corporate secretarial firm, with the aim of finding out if they work with freelance accountants. The staff who answered readily gave me his boss' mobile number, and I was able to speak with the big man.

And what do you know, he was actually looking for freelance accountants to build his stable of contacts! He asked me to get my associate to give him a call.

Easiest cold call referral I've ever done!

And to think I would have been none the wiser if I'd just tossed the flyer or worse, declined to accept it.

This one's for you, Mag! Hope it's a big one :)

No comments: