Saturday, January 14, 2006

MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology)

I got my first pair of MBT's!

I first heard about them through the media. All I knew was that the shoes were inspired by the Masai warriors' ability to run barefoot across the plains in Africa.

What got my attention was when a dear friend excitedly shared with me over the phone about how her MBT's were just the most wonderful things ever invented. Not only could she walk and walk in them without any discomfort, she found her posture improving and her backache reduced.

The only note of caution she sounded was the cost.

"But since you're already a Kumfs fan, I don't think that's a problem," she cheekily added.

She has a point.

Aside from Kumfs, I've tried Arcopedico (handmade Portugese shoes that are as light as socks), Ecco, Birkenstocks, and Crocs (super-lightweight shoes that are really funky, or ugly, depending on who you ask). I've also worn custom-made orthotics for the past 18 months. In fact, I'm pretty game for anything that promises to be gentle with my super-sensitive, over-pronated, calloused, flat feet. And oh, did I mention I also have really painful bunions?

So I was thrilled today when my family and I stepped into the Red Wing shoe store at Suntec City. The MBT collection is disappointingly tiny though, with mostly casual/sporty designs. I saw nothing that was suitable for wearing with a power suit. Somehow, comfy shoes just aren't designed for boardroom wear.

I was impressed by the foot measurement machine at the entrance of the store. You place your foot in the rectangular slot, the calipers move inwards to position themselves snugly around your foot, and the size and width of your foot are immediately displayed. This reduces the possibility of you choosing the wrong shoe size for your foot shape.

The salesperson shook his head when he saw my feet.

"You have to be really careful not to put additional pressure on those bunions," he advised. "I've seen worse cases than yours though," he added by way of consolation.

I ended up choosing a white pair of sandals that look halfway decent paired with light-coloured bottoms. Best of all, my hubby offered to pay for them, and I graciously accepted.

The purchase came with a training VCD (apparently, you have to wear MBT's the prescribed way or they won't be effective) and a $20 free voucher entitling me to an MBT training workshop.

If the shoes deliver on their promise, it would be $380 well spent.

No comments: