Sunday, January 08, 2006

If You Never Try, You'll Never Know

Some amazing events happened recently, which only serves to show: Life is like a box of chocolates!
  1. One day, while trawling through the SENT box in my email account, I noticed I'd sent an email to a prospect but hadn't heard from him for more than a month. Ordinarily, I would've dismissed it as a 'not interested' case and moved on, but something made me persist. I looked up his business card, called him and tried to jolt his memory regarding my email. To my pleasant surprise, he didn't sound confused or annoyed, but explained that he might have missed my email and requested that I resend it. I promptly did, and have high hopes of turning this cold call into a warm lead.
  2. A financial planner I briefly met at a networking session called to say she was really impressed at how quickly I emailed her after we met. (I did so within the day.) She went on to outline a project she might need my help in, and we scheduled an appointment for the following week.
  3. A lady whose name I'd heard another contact mention, called to say she was checking me out despite not knowing a thing about my portfolio! She was working on an awareness campaign for a statutory board, and needed help conceptualizing and writing the content of the releases. We have also scheduled an appointment.
  4. A contact I know has just invested in a spa business and wants to recoup his 6-figure investment within a year. He proposed paying me on a commission basis as he is on a tight budget. If he hit his sales target, and it could be proven that this was due to my writing, I would get x%. Otherwise, I wouldn't get paid for my work. After much agonizing about whether this was a real deal or a scam, I declined.

Who says being a freelancer is boring?

No comments: