Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Career options for mums

Was chatting with a school mum recently.

She lamented the difficulty of finding a job that is close by enough and only during school hours, so she can drop off and pick up her kids and not have to use after-school care.

Can't fault her selection criteria; it's identical to mine.

J goes to kinder next year for three days a week at odd times, which will throw my daily schedule out of whack. It definitely narrows my job hunting and training prospects.

I was looking at an Integration Aide course by Monash Uni starting Feb 2011.

The requirements aren't tough: 8 lessons x 6 hours (9am - 3.30 pm).

The cost is manageable compared to most other courses I have in mind ($950).

Whether I will want to work as an Integration Aide when I've done the course is another issue. Hubby, though, would much rather I do something with greater financial prospects:
  • migration agent (course cost: $9600 through ANU College of Law Grad Cert in Migration Law)
  • conveyancer (course cost: $6350 through Swinburne Uni of Tech TAFE Dip of Financial Services - Conveyancing)
  • property agent (Brian Mark prefers its prospective agents to do the Agents Rep training through them)
  • (and the latest) franchise owner.
One factor in favour is that the course is conducted so close by - the uni is using the Civic Centre on Princes Hwy.

All that's missing is to find someone who's happy to ferry J around if her kinder session coincides with a lecture, or babysit her if she's got a kinder-free day but I have a lecture to attend.

Possibilities: the occasional childcare centre on Mossfiel Drive, family day care, my neighbour down the road, various church friends who have volunteered to help out with babysitting when needed.

No comments: