Sunday, July 20, 2008

Learn, Unlearn, Relearn

Being a part of the church worship team has been an incredible time of learning.

My classical training has been helpful in that I can sightread and work out chords and stuff.

Sometimes, though, it has been a bit of a hindrance, because when you are part of a team, different considerations apply.

You have to know when to play and when to hold back.

You can't play like a soloist or play the synth as if you were playing the piano.

Especially if there is another pianist involved, one who is extremely gifted and who can play anything and any genre.

The worship workshop we had 2 weekends ago has been a catalyst of positive change for the worship team.

Today was the first time we played under new leadership, and I think I'm not the only one who felt it was a change for the better.

Team morale was high.
The music flowed better, even though we had just piano, synth and bass guitar. (No drums - amazing!)
The girls sang really well, and the bit in the Hallelujah chorus when the instruments died away and it was just voices was BEAUTIFUL.

Afterwards, we had a debrief (a first!) and talked about what worked and what didn't.

I was relieved to know that the music director had some positive things to say about my playing. That's a huge encouragement, considering I'm not a seasoned keyboardist and am still feeling my way around the synth.

Thank you Lord, that however old I get, there is always something new to learn.
Keep me flexible and nimble so that I never stagnate.
Amen.

No comments: