Monday, October 01, 2007

Fabulous Footy Analogy

I love the opening paragraph of this article from The Sunday Age.

In football, as in life,
actions become habits,
habits become character,
and character becomes destiny.

Isn't that beautiful?

The article praised the team spirit and mental strength of 2007 Brownlow medallist Jimmy Bartel of the AFL Premiership Cup champions Geelong Cats.

There's a lot of truth in the quote.

What we do daily, over time, becomes a habit.

Good ones make my character. Bad ones derail me.

If I choose to form good habits and build my character, I set myself up for success.

If I choose laziness, procrastination and decision making based on wrong values, I set myself up for personal failure.

Each choice leads to a different destiny.

Which destiny do I choose, short-term gratification or long-term fulfilment?

The choice is not always obvious or easy.

Saying yes to LTF means saying no to pleasant distractions along the way. The latest property listings, Sunday Age and even the mid-afternoon cuppa must wait while I get through the hard work of writing an article, calling a potential business partner or packing for our house move.

No comments: