Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Unshakeable Peace

I was listening to an audio broadcast of a sermon by Dr. Adrian Rogers on Crosswalk.com on Sunday.

Dr. Rogers used the story of Jesus calming the storm and walking on the water to His terrified disciples to illustrate the meaning of peace.

True peace is not the absence of anxiety or stress or trouble. It is being able to remain confident despite anxiety or stress or trouble. The secret is to look at Jesus, not at the waves.

We can use the letters of the word PEACE to remind us of the following truths:

P = Providence. Nothing surprises God. He is over all things. When you are caught in a storm, say to yourself: "His purpose brought me here."

E = Entreating. Jesus prays for us when we are troubled, and we know that God always hears Jesus' prayers. Say to yourself: "His prayers protect me here."

A = Assurance. Jesus' presence is more real to me when I'm in the midst of a storm, than when things are going well. Psalm 46 says: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. "His presence comes to me here."

C = Comfort. Comforting someone doesn't mean saying "there, there" and uttering soothing words. The word 'comfort' is derived from Come + Fort. Fort means to Build Up, to Give Strength. That is what God does. "His power sustains me here."

E = Expectation. I can expect God to take care of the problem. How He chooses to do it is none of my business. Remember: Peter sank for a while, BUT HE DIDN'T DROWN. Likewise, we can trust God to keep our heads above water. "His promise assures me here."

May the peace of GOD, the peace that surpasses all understanding, be always with you.

No comments: