Sunday, September 03, 2006

What Would My Obituary Look Like?

Not that it would matter to me when the time comes, but if I could leave a message of hope, faith and love for those I leave behind, why not?

Instead of the usual Psalm 23, I would choose Job 1:21:
The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

That verse has inspired and sustained me through difficult times. It was the verse God gave me in my gynae's office in Aug 2005 when I was facing a threatened miscarriage (which in the event turned out to be a real miscarriage).

Instead of the usual recitation of family names, I would do like the brother in an obituary I read in today's ST. He must have written it himself, because it read like a personal tribute to his loved ones. E.g. xx - good friend and the mother of my children. yy - my prayer partner. zz - my trusted partner and a person pure in heart.

What a wonderful way to affirm the people you love, and to encourage them to continue doing what is good and right. That kind of legacy is worth more than any physical riches.

No comments: