Tuesday, November 29, 2011

HXUC held church council elections on 13 Nov and I am now Secretary.

It's v strange how it happened.

My good friend Kat nominated for the Asst Sec position, and asked if I would consider being Sec.

I had been dead set against being considered for CC because I heartily disapprove of meetings. Meetings are the worst time wasters, and don't I have enough on my plate with coaching triads, webinars, p/t work and ferrying the girls to and from school and after-school activities?

But when a respected brother who had nominated for Treasurer announced, "I propose Serena Tan for Secretary", and someone else said, "I second", I had to quickly decide.

I turned to confer with hubby. As usual, he said it was my decision to make. How helpful is that?!

I decided - against all logic and reason - to say yes. [Say Yes, Then Work Out How is one of our coaching mantras.]

Afterwards, my boss asked if I had felt "ambushed".

I reframed it to him (and myself) thus: secretarial work is an extension of the admin work I'm already doing for HXUC. It's something I can do. And it involves minute taking and dissemination once a month (or less, if my boss has his way and meetings are held only six times a year).

So...one more facet of my post-migration identity falls into place.

No comments: