Tuesday, March 09, 2010

When is the right time to return to work?

I am coming to the conclusion that working in any other capacity save full-time work requires more effort, brain work, perseverance and resources than internet marketing ads promise.

Yesterday, CA and I discussed a recruitment ad in The Age for the position of complaints officer for the Commonwealth Ombudsman. He and I both think the job description suits me to a T.

The trouble, as usual, is that working in the City demands commuting time and distracts me from my family commitments. Maybe I am being too negative and perfectionist, wanting everything to work out perfectly before I will put a toe into the water. But I also know that I am not great at multitasking. I can't switch mindsets quickly and easily. I am not focused when I need to be.

Having this additional role in my life - full-time career woman - can easily cause a deterioration in the quality of my family relationships, which at the moment are my chief satisfaction. I won't be able to take Beth to swimming, go to the gym or hang out at home watching Veggie Tales with Jordanne. I will have to put Beth in after-school care, and I will feel guilty that I can't be as involved in her school life as I now have the luxury to do.

The consolation will be that our finances will be in much better shape, and I will also have an opportunity to re-engage with the corporate world. It's only been 5 years since I stopped "going forward" and "thinking outside the box", but if I wait another 5 years, I'll be 45 and it will be so much harder.

No comments: