Thursday, July 05, 2007

Turning Our Ears From Truths to Myths

"...be prepared in season and out of season...For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." (2 Tim. 4:2-4)

I have to ask myself: are the resources and references I have been consulting in my quest for personal growth and financial freedom leading me towards Christlikeness or away? Do I hear only what I want to hear? Have I turned from the truth in pursuit of the world's lies? Freedom. Wealth. Time for the family. Time to do what I love. A channel for my creativity. A desire to help and empower other women. Is Christ in these desires or is it all about me, me, me? Because it's not about me. I'm not here to please myself but to do His will. How can I be sure that what my heart pulls me towards is within His will for me? That it's okay to want success and financial freedom? Is there such a thing as financial freedom and success for those who desire to please Him?

Perhaps it's not either/or. Perhaps I'm looking at these issues with the wrong lens. It is Christ above all and in all, financially free or not, successful or not. King Solomon in the Book of Ecclesiastes wrote, "when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work - this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart." (Eccl. 5:19-20)

It is God who gives wealth and possessions.
It is God who enables the recipient to enjoy them. (One can be rich and miserable. Who would choose that for themselves?)
It is God who enables the recipient to accept his lot and be happy in his work. (God gives contentment, peace and joy. What is the point of being rich but miserable?)
It is God who so fills the recipient's heart with gladness that he has no time to sit and reflect on the how's and why's and what's-in-the-future. He is too busy being glad. (Isn't that a wonderful way to live?)
It is all about God.

So then it is human and natural to desire and to seek better things for ourselves and our families. But in doing so, we must subject these desires to Him, remembering that it is not about us. If He grants our desires, we must acknowledge with gratitude His providence and use the gifts not only for our own good but the good of those within our circles of influence. And if He chooses to withhold, as a loving and wise Father sometimes must, we must submit humbly and trust that He knows better. And whatever our circumstances, we must give thanks, because all good things come from Him, and He has divinely placed us in this situation at this time for a reason and a season.

No comments: