Friday, July 09, 2010

Don Moen (Praise & Worship Leader)

Hands up how many have heard of Don Moen.

DM is one of the most inspiring worship leaders of the '90s. For me anyway. I still have his God Will Make A Way and Hallelujah To The Lamb CDs. I like his non-showy demeanour, his old-world dressing, and how he avoids drawing attention to himself but instead deflects all praise and glory to the Creator.

Recently, I discovered DM on Facebook. Whoa! Of course I 'liked' him right away.

Here's what he had to say that really spoke to me:

Take a second to invite the Lord into everything that's going on. Yes, He's there already, but invite Him to be Lord in the midst.

He makes all things new. Moment to moment we have a new start and another chance to make Him Lord of that very instant, whatever is going on, and regardless of how many times we choose to take it into our own hands. Praise Him for it!

I decided to take his advice. Just before going into Beth's room to remind her that it was time for her bath, and knowing that there was a 99% probability of her protesting vigorously and even being rude about it, I prayed and asked God to take charge. The simplest of prayers. No me interposing my idea of what I would like to happen and any number of variables. I simply asked.

And boy, did He answer.

I knocked on Beth's door. She responded in a reasonably polite manner, and I discovered to my pleasant surprise that she was sketching the Sphinx. When I reminded her it was time to bathe, she did not protest. In fact, we were able to have a friendly chat and she dutifully went off to the bathroom.

And after that - get this - she sat down at the keyboard to practise.

With a cheerful attitude!

There is nothing more to be said, except Praise God.

No comments: